Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Just for Fun.

My favorite album of 2012 was Some Nights by Fun. I'm not sure how I didn't notice this before, but the song titles and lyrics describe graduate school to an almost spooky degree. Here's a track name and some lyrics for the major phases of grad school.

Start of grad school: We Are Young
So let's set the world on fire, we can shine brighter than the sun.
Middle of first year: It Gets Better
What have we done, oh my god. This is really happening.
You never looked so bored. Can you feel my fingernails? They've never been so short...
Yes, I know it hurts at first but it gets better.
It gets better, it gets better. It gets better, we'll get better.
Second year: One Foot
To my left there's a window.Where did I go?...
And bad ideas, but ideas nonetheless and so
I put one foot in front of the other one. (Oh oh oh!)
I don't need a new love or a new life just a better place to die.
Field exams: All Alright
And it's all alright.
I guess it's all alright.
I got nothing left inside of my chest,
But it's all alright.
Third year: Some Nights
What do I stand for? What do I stand for?
Most nights I don't know.
Fourth Year: Carry On
If you're lost and alone, or you're sinking like a stone
Carry on.
Fifth Year: Why am I the One
I think I kinda like it but I might of had too much.

(If this is your kind of humor, also see Shakira Teaches Economics.) 

No comments: